Tuesday, January 29, 2013

the art of practice



practice isn't necessarily fun. but spending time consciously working on improving a skill has one of the biggest productivity payoffs around. that makes intuitive sense with music and athletics. but I think that's the case with many life skills as well. practicing the art of getting up and taking a walk, practicing the art of buy smart foods, practicing the one thing that you are particularly bad at and that might be holding you back (for me that's negotiation). making these things part of your day helps you to grow. and growing helps keep you young and vibrant. it is also true that when something is practiced it becomes second nature. so when life throws you a curve ball, and your distracted, you still have the skills you have developed through daily practice. practice may not always make perfect, but the art of practice is perfect in and of itself.
wsj article on practice
a video: matisse-and-the-art-of-practice


2 comments:

  1. I like this Timo. For awhile I practiced yoga five days per week, then for many reasons, or excuses, I stopped. Then I took on the practice of meditation. I loved it, even had Abel joining me, then once again, out of practice.

    Time to start practicing what I know once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have discovered that learning a new habit is a matter starting out with such a simple, do-able thing that it would be hard to come up with an excuse for NOT doing it. flossing just one tooth for a week or two weeks until it becomes a habit! this takes not time at all. then later, you can add more teeth if you like. but to establish the daily habit, just do one. and secondly, after completing the simple task, reward yourself with self praise. say out loud. "yes! i flossed my tooth!". this positive re-enforcement sends a message to the brain that make completing the task each day more pleasurable.

    thanks for your feedback dan!

    ReplyDelete