i like to buy a multitude of frozen veggies and frozen fish too so that i always have this option on hand. but when i have time, i also buy fresh. either way, for me, this combination is endlessly good. no need for rice or pasta for me! (i sometimes drizzle my plate with a balsamic vinegar reduction to add drama and a flavorful punch). i found a recipe for this combo on the real simple website and am re-posting here. but really it's just a matter of tossing all the ingredients into the the steamer, fish on top, and letting'er rip!
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 yellow squash or zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 8-ounce skinless halibut fillets (about 1 inch thick)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, flat-leaf parsley, or thyme (optional)
- 2 lemons, halved
- Place a steamer in a large saucepan. Add enough water to reach just below it. Bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and squash and steam, covered, until tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, season with ¼ teaspoon salt, and cover.
- If necessary, add more water to the pan. Return to a boil. Season the halibut with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Place the halibut on the steamer, cover, and cook until it flakes easily and is the same color throughout, about 7 minutes.
- Drizzle the halibut and vegetables with the oil. Sprinkle with the herbs (if using) and serve with the lemon halves.